Wednesday, June 3, 2009


The lizard should be facing the other way and I don't have enough time to figure out how to turn it around. Darn.

Hi!
Mark and I made it up to Nagua today to check out the city, check email, mail some letters and also visit the bank.
This week was the first time I felt really bummed after Mom described to me how lovely Nessa’s wedding was and listed all of my friends who were there. I am so sad that I couldn’t be there. There’s nothing more really to say about that.
I went to my first Dominican Funeral yesterday. Eva warned me about them. I sat for 6 hours in the church with a few moaning (actually more like screaming women) and the casket. I learned a lot though – including how the colors you wear can represent your relationship with the deceased person and more about ‘luto’ which is a grievance period.
Then it started pouring and we were stuck in the church waiting it out. The whole time I was thinking, CRAP, MY CACAO! Because I had just laid my fermented Cacao out to dry in the blazing sun at night! Gargh. I came back to the house and it was in a swimming pool so I’m going to try to dry it out again but it might be ruined. We’ll see.
Grilla is a 16 year old girl in my community who appears to have severe mental disabilities and is also deaf. It is really sad when you see the way this country treats people with special needs sometimes – I’ll spare the stories – but then it is also apparent to me that the whole community accepts and loves Grilla as one of their members. Yesterday was really stressful because Grilla got lost in the Cacao conucos close to the river which is a really bad situation. I was sitting with the Domininans in Mata’s kitchen when we got back from the funeral when we found this out and they were sort of just like – crap. They then proceeded on with what they were doing and I was sort of freaking out thinking – it’s dark out and raining like crazy and it’s super dangerous for the poor little girl. I then asked if we could go look for her and they told me it was way too dangerous for me and sort of laughed – by the way they were like amazed that I could make tea so they seriously doubt I have any capability which I’ve found out from other volunteers is normal and I don’t know why. So I’m sitting there all confused thinking – why in the world aren’t they doing something…and then a bunch of people start showing up to search for her. I was glad that my impression was correct – the community is tightly knit and will take care of its members.
Then Grilla actually managed to find her way home by herself and it was really sad to see how stressed out Taga (her mom) looked. I couldn’t even imagine. I felt like I was going to die when Chester wandered away for a few days let alone my child. So yes, yesterday was something fierce to say the least.
Carmen told me that she had a secret for me a few days ago. Apparently she wants me to move into her mom’s little casita (which I’ve seen and isn’t my first choice but it covers the bases). Her mom is taking an expensive medication and they discussed it and she could use my rent money to help pay for this and have her mom move in with her or her sister Silvia. I can’t help but feel like I’m displacing the mom, but Silvia told me that they basically really could use the money so it’d be helping them out. We’ll see what happens in two more months, but it’s really good that I at least have one option now. It was really a good plan to start thinking about this early.
I do have requests for little stuff now! I wish I would have put this up sooner!
Nails (Small to medium sized), Dryer sheets (they apparently work very well against mosquitoes if you have them in your pocket), scissors, tape and crazy glue!
Love you guys! If you have international minutes call me up.
Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment