
Buenos,
Hi! How refreshing to have a pressured cold shower, sink, and my friends! I made it into the capital last night to meet up with Leeann, Mark, Jim, Andrew and Andrea and for an annual medical appointment and we got to go out to Dinner at a Chinese place, watch Wolverine, and yes – get squeaky clean.
I also got to pick up packages (Tobin, Nana, and Mom). Thank you Toby – you are like a Morphos of Costa Rica love on account of how much chocolate, tea, pictures and fantastic letters you’ve sent me. Thank you Nana – you are the greatest Nana and also most magical person I have ever met. My Nana is wonderful about hiding gifts in gifts – she gave me a few books (I’m almost done with In the Time of Butterflies and think Minerva is awesome) and in the pages she’ll hide pictures of my wonderfully adorable baby cousins and Chester and this time little worry people. As always Thank you to Mom – Fruit leather and chocolate. I love mom’s letters. They are exactly how she talks. (Mom did I tell you that Mata has hair that is almost 2 times as long as yours? She sorta looks like one of the aunts almost.) I’m using the Envelopes for little reusable bags as a little side project. Oh also! Here is my address for those who have been asking if it has changed. Check this out:
+ Hermana Sarah Termondt, PCV
Cuerpo de Paz
Avenida Bolivar 451, Gazcue
Apartado Postal 1412
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
It is more likely that your mail to me won’t get messed around with if you put a cross, Hermana, and also buy jesus stamps. Funny- but it is advice from another older volunteer that I think is smart. Dominicans fear God like the Californian Supreme court upholds inane rulings. Ah.
I really like my site. I am understanding the campesinos a little more. Oh and my Nana pointed out that I am referencing Dominican words sometimes that are new. For example – Sonrojar = to blush or literally to become red. Colmado = little corner store. Campo = more or less a farm or rural setting. I am understanding a little bit more now…but I am still quite entertaining to them when communicating. My community is really supportive though and wants to teach me. The Donas around me are like a tight knit little circle – comparable to a peaceful mafia armed with rosaries. Mata was explaining to me that they are going to protect me with whatever I do so that was nice to hear. She also wanted to make sure I knew I was welcome to come visit again with my husband anytime I want after my service had ended (although it just started). They are also quite concerned that I’m playing with Mauricio (the kitten) and holding him too much because he, as all cats do, have parasites that will disable from having ninos of my own. They are also deathly afraid of frogs and were creeped out that I took a photo of one in my hand (for you to identify Toby).
I’ve been hiking and exploring a lot with the kids in my community. There are a group of 12 yr old girls I call the grapefruit girls because they gave me a GIANT grapefruit– Paloma, Carina, Ginet being the leaders who are like little tour guides. There is a waterfall that isn’t too far away from my site that is really pretty apparently and also Indian caves that I will be exploring in the coming weeks with them and other friends. There is also a very nice guy named Gine (Hini) who I’ve become good friends with – he is very different than the usual tiguere Dominican male who you immediately question their intention. Gine was studying to be a priest and therefore received good schooling and is very intelligent. He now wants to be a civil engineer and he’s really interested in learning English and about the U.S. I’m really glad he’s there because he helps keep sanity sometimes with the campesinos. All the Donas tell me he’s very respectoso meaning that he really does have the intention of friendship (I’ve told my site I have a boyfriend living in Santiago because – believe me it is much much easier that way. Before asking my name people will ask if I have a boyfriend wanting to set me up with their sons. It is really helpful in dealing with the tigueres also – Tiguere remember means a guy who is basically a super direct Rooster like guy after all the women. They are annoying and it’s nice to be able to say no with a firmer reason attached so the odds they will continue to harass you are lowered. Thankfully it’s not bad in my community.)
I am starting up English classes this Saturday with the kids and then with the adults. Lets see how that goes haha. I’ve got a list of kids for the morning and an open class in the afternoon as a trial. Everyone wants to learn English. It is their first and foremost desire for me. Otherwise I’ve been reading books on Thursdays to the tiny kids in our little library, I’m going to try setting up the apiculture (bee’s and HONEY!) project kids with a connection in Nagua to hopefully give them incentive to make the project into more of a business, I’m looking into trash collection companies in Castillo, made my own clothes hangers and another round of chocolate, and I’m sewing a lot! They say cogiendolo suave here (taking it easy) but I tell them I’m cosiendolo suave (sewing it easy). I have fixed several of the campesino’s shirts because I like to sit on the patio with little projects. I asked another volunteer today, Amy who is super awesome and like personifies a cool older volunteer to me, about her reusable bag campaign and the patterns she’s using. I’m going to start some bags when I get back to the site.
On a final note although I wish I could say this in person more than you guys know: CONGRATULATIONS NESS AND AUSTIN! I AM SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!
I WISH YOU BOTH THE BEST AND MOST BEAUTIFUL YEARS TOGETHER!
I wish so much I could hear Bailey’s toast to you guys. I want her to send it to me. I also think the pizookie party is an excellent idea. Miss you guys a lot. Send me pics of the wedding and all your gorgeousness and I’m sure I’ll miss you even more.
Love you all! New pics up!
Love,
Sarah

BEST LINE EVER: 'Dominicans fear God like the Californian Supreme court upholds inane rulings. Ah.'
ReplyDelete-Love you
I also love that line, have to say.
ReplyDeleteI also feel as though I wish I were treckinig through la selva with you rather than studying for finals and writing papers right now. Did you never get your birthday card??? Me hace triste.
Thank you Sarah!!!
ReplyDeleteI got your message, we got your presents, and we wish you could have been there!
I'll send you pics as soon as I have some prints made.
I love reading your blog, I wish I was there with you! And I love the superstitions, you'll have to tell me all about them.
Love you!
Ness