
Hey All!
Not enough time to really update at the moment but here are some pics I stole from Ben. Here is an actual whale we saw. Just to clarify I didn´t take that previous picture....but I did see that breachin´action happening!
Just finished up yesterday with a WONDERFUL WEEKEND of visits and International Women´s Day Celebration that Eva and I planned for our surrounding communities that was hosted in Rincon Hondo. I think it turned out really well and am really happy I could be a part of it!
Eva did a wonderful job of preparing her charlas and also decorating the club and being incargada (Big boss lady). She did talks on AIDS and women´s history of the DR with her girls doing little skits. Tamara came up and talked about domestic violence and equality in the household so super big thanks to her. She also caught me up on the office and Pam and Jim´s wedding which was pretty much amazing haha. Ben came up and helped me prep for my carpentry workshop which although might have seemed chaotic to most people ... I personally thought turned out quite well. I showed them how to make a spice rack with wood that the ferreteria was throwing away and then had teams of people build little photo frames. Eva is an artist and was going to have a little lesson on how to paint them but we ran out of time because with Dominican time...everything always starts at least an hour late. I also wrote a little song that went well trying to incorporate self esteem into my talk. It´s cute and cheesy ie Dominicans dig it. You´ll have to visit me to hear it! (I am so excited for Jenny and Patty!!!)
Yo soy Mujer
Yo soy el aire y la tierra
Yo soy la sangre y el corazon
Yo soy la fuerza y la belleza
Yo soy mujer, yo soy mujer
Yo soy la mente y el coraje
Tengo la gracia en mis pasos
Yo soy hermosa y poderosa
Yo soy mujer yo soy mujer
Coro:
Yo puedo hacer cualquiere cosa
Solo necesito tener la fe en mi misma
Yo soy las aves Yo soy las flores
Yo soy la luna Yo soy el sol
Yo soy la madre Yo soy la hija
Y tu amiga. Yo soy Mujer!
Coro
I tried to get my reading group to come up and help me sing and do the little motions with the song but there were quite a few people and I was even feeling a little timida at one point.
I don´t have my chord to plug in my camera at the moment but will post pics soon of the event. A huge thank you to the volunteers that helped out. If Gango, Eva´s carpentry guy, had internet and read my blog I´d send him the biggest thanks. I hugged him instead because he helped me so much hand cutting the picture frame pieces. We set them at 45 degree angles so they actually look cool.
Other than that all is well on my end. We had a fabulous weekend of cooking - Lemon Pesto Chicken on Penne, Lentil Soup, Oatmeal bread, Mozerrella CHEESE which is so cool by the way, peanut butter brownies, and pizza with everything from scratch topped with tomato and basil from the garden. I´ve been wanting to do that basically my whole life. It was a wonderful feeling. It was a wonderful weekend :)
Hope all is well!
Love,
Sarah

No comments:
Post a Comment