Monday, December 28, 2009

Campo Christmas

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
(Termondt Family Pic 2008)














It's been a rollercoaster for the past few weeks. I've been super excited about my parents coming, super busy building the outdoor bathroom and tying up ends, and also unfortunately trying to come to terms with the fact that I won't get the chance to tell Gramps thank you again for the massive loads of chocolate he kept sending me and the advice on resources to tap into for the aqueduct project. He passed away last week unexpectedly and it has been the most difficult thing I've dealt with at my site. I want everyone to know what an incredible guy he was, which you can't accurately put into a little blog post. He was a major influence and inspiration for my doing Peace Corps. I am so lucky to have had him as a grandfather and know that he is proud of me. I'll miss you alot Grandpa.



Here is a quick photo reel of the family up in the campo. We went to a cock fight on Christmas day itself which I wasn't expecting but ended up being quite an event (Roosters don't die and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The most entertaining thing is watching my Dominican guy friends going INSANE.)

Wish I had pics of this too - Mom tried really hard to communicate and got a lesson in Bachata. I love my mom, she's such a gem. We weren't able to make it out to dance but did literally everything else possible in two days. The community LOVED them and I assuredly will come back and be asked for the rest of always 'When is your family coming back Sarah!?' They loved Dad who was handing out cigars as if he'd just had quintuplets.















In the living room with the bearded brother being festive



















Carina! Infront of our 'Usa su propia bulto' 'Don't use plastic bags' poster.
















Bija, Jim, and Dad. That is me talking on the phone in the corner haha.




















Mom, Dad, and Bija infront of the 'Greenhouse'
















Church music on Christmas morning
















Me and Jimmers!
















First SQUASH! SCORE!
















Basil - kicking ass. Tomatos in the background.
















My view with Christmas morning fog



HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AUNT JENNA!

Hope you all are doing well and Happy New Year 2010!
Sooner,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. My heart goes out to you.

    May your garden flourish and your squash grow to be the size of small vehicles.

    ReplyDelete